For Additional Information
Please Call 208.938.1568

Marriage License Information

Ada County Recorder's Office
Courthouse Building, First Floor, Room 1207
200 West Front Street
Boise, Idaho 83702
(208) 287-6840
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., including the lunch hour.
Closed on state holidays.

Canyon County Recorder's Office
Canyon County Courthouse, Room 246
1115 Albany St.
Caldwell, ID 83605
(208) 454-7300
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closed on state holidays.

Valley County Recorder's Office
Valley County Courthouse
219 N Main St.
Cascade, ID 83611
(208) 382-7178
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closed on state holidays.

Both parties must appear together.

Social Security Numbers must be provided when applying for a Marriage License. If you do not have a social security number, whether or not you possess a passport, you must go to the Social Security Office and obtain a letter explaining why you do not have a social security number and return it to the Ada County Recorder. Local Social Security Offices are located at: 1249 S Vinnell Way Ste 101 Boise, ID 83709. No appointment is necessary.

Blood tests are not required. Idaho Code 32-412A requires both parties to read an AIDS information sheet and sign the Marriage License Affidavit. Cost of Marriage License is $30 cash only (price includes mailing of certified copy)

PROOF OF IDENTITY AND AGE (Idaho Code 32-202) Applicants 16 through 17 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian*. The applicant must present one of the following four: 1. Original birth certificate or certified copy; 2. Current driver's license; 3. Passport; or 4. State-issued identification card.


Do I need to be a resident of Idaho to obtain a marriage license? No; however, with an Idaho State Marriage License, you must get married in Idaho.

Is there a waiting period before using the license? No, you may get married the same day.

Can I use this Marriage License in another state? No, an Idaho State Marriage License is only valid in Idaho.

When will the Marriage License expire? There is no expiration date on the license. If not returned within a year, please contact Vital Statistics at (334-5980).

When we receive the Marriage License, are we married? No, an authorized clergy member, judge, or other designated official, i.e., mayor or governor, must perform the ceremony.

Are marriage ceremonies performed in the clerk's office? No, you may contact a judge to make an appointment for the same day or for the future. A list of judges is available at the Recorder's Office.